Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Retro Grouch Moto Club

This is a little bit from mountain bikings past.

You might be a retro grouch if;

1.Use top mounted shifters (click or friction)
2.Use a five or six speed freewheel
3.Use standard cage pedals and toe clips
4.Use brass spoke nipples rather than aluminum
5.Use steel quick release hub skewers
6.Use a frame pump rather that a CO2 cartridge
7.Use chainrings with teeth that don’t have odd shapes or notches (Writers Note: Remember Bio-Pace….uuuggghh)
8.Use water bottles rather than a water bladder slung on your back
9.Wear any cycling shorts that flap in the breeze
10.Wear tee shirts rather than jerseys
11.Wear a rolled up bandana for a sweatband
12.Wear a helmet that isn’t quite aero
13.Wear a fanny pack
14.Grow and maintain a crop of hair on your arms and legs
15.Grow and maintain a beard
16.Ride a frame that is three years old or older
17.Ride a non-suspended frame
18.Ride a frame that is any color other than neon
19.Eat anything other than a PowerBar on the trail
20.Drink water without sport drink additives
21.Enjoy listening to music by Neil Young

3 comments:

Len said...

Hey - It is good to read that The Retro Grouch Moto Club still has some presence in the cycling world. I started the club via a number of articles I wrote for the "Dirt Rag" back when the magazine was non glossy. As it matured and drew big name advertisers my articles were no longer published, sorta because my articles were not kind to new technology. So I ventured off and started the rgmc.org web site that ran for a number of years. My interest in cycling never faded but the interest in maintaining the site did. I had several other interests that occupied my time. Last week I found a CD that contained the html files for an 1997 version of the site. It was and still is old and clunky compared to modern websites, but I uploaded it in a directory off of my photography website. I added a few of my articles from the Dirt Rag into the site as well. If you have continued to read this far into my note then you may want to visit the resurrected site.... www.lenbruffett.com/RG

FatKleinMerlin said...

I remember the RGMC from the very early 90s.

The criteria needs to be updated.

If you meet the old rgmc in today's day and age, you're not a retro grouch, you're a luddite.

I suggest the following:
26" wheels
Rigid fork
Rim brakes
Max 7 speeds
3x required up front.
No carbon frames
Bottle cage(s)
Seat bag.
Lumbar pack ok, but not a water one.
Quillstem
No 31.8.

Len said...

Yes you are correct .... the membership criteria could be updated. BUT maybe just rebrand the RGMC to the "RGLC" Retro Grouch Luddite Club !


I still run a 6 speed freewheel with a "0" dish rear wheel... and 3 chainrings up front. I have rim brakes. I do run a suspension fork - but on a hard tail frame.

My knock a round grocery getter is a '91 Bontrager OR I converted it to a single speed some time ago. Even with its original rigid fork it takes on single track as if it were on rails.